Monday, November 19, 2012

The Lernier Family Chapter Thirty - David and Purev


Chapter Thirty – David and Purev

As the boys entered David’s room, Purev said, “Wow!   I love your room!”  

The room had a four poster bed made of cherry wood with a canopy showing the solar system.   David’s desk and dresser were also made of cherry wood.   He had several framed posters on the walls of different robots.

David blushed, “I’m glad you like it.”

Purev walked over to take a closer look at one of David’s posters.   “These robots are really cool.”

“Those are the robots that the Virginia Tech robotics department built.   They play soccer,” David said.   “I’ve built one of my own based on their robot design.”   David walked over to his desk and opened the bottom drawer.   He pulled out the diminutive robot and sat it on the floor.   He flipped a switch on the back of the robot.   He handed the robot controller to Purev.   “This lever moves the robot forward and backward.   This joy stick causes it to rotate.”

Purev grinned at David and said, “Thanks for letting me play with your robot.”  

The two boys took turns moving the robot around the room.   David pulled out a couple of miniature soccer balls for the robot to kick.   After a while, David said, “We should go to bed.   It’s after midnight.”

Purev nodded his head in agreement, “You’re right.”   He sat down on David’s bed and looked up at David.   “Can I ask you a question?”

David sat down next to Purev on the bed, their legs barely touching.   “Sure.”

“Are you gay?” Purev asked, watching David closely to gage his reaction to his question.

David looked into Purev’s eyes and said, “I don’t know for sure but I think I am.   Why?”

“I thought you might be gay or at least, I hoped you were gay because I really like you,” Purev said.   “I have always been attracted to guys.   My parents thought it was just a stage I was going through and that I would grow out of it.   How long have you known that you like guys?”

“I haven’t really figured that out.   But I can tell you that I’m not all that interested in girls.   I think they are too emotional.   My sister is really smart but she sometimes lets her emotions get in the way.   Some of the guys I’ve met function purely on emotion as well.   I can’t stand being around emotional people,” David.   “I have no patience for illogical people or those who are intelligent but don’t use their intelligence.”

“Am I too emotional for you?” Purev asked, hoping he hadn’t shown himself to be beneath David’s standards.   He really liked David and wanted to make a good impression on him.

“I don’t know.   All I know is that I like talking to you,” David responded with a smile.   “You seem to be smart and I can hold a conversation with you which is totally awesome!”

Purev reached over and took David’s hand in his.   “Do I have to sleep on the trundle bed?   I’d much rather sleep with you.”

David smiled, “I was hoping you would ask me that.   Yes, you can sleep with me on my bed.”   Here David paused and his face took on a solemn look.   “I have to be honest with you, Purev.   My Dads are pretty strict about not dating until we are 16 and not having sex before we’re 18.”

Purev looked surprised, “Really?   I would’ve thought they would be pretty open to letting you do what you want.”

David shook his head, “In some ways, they are very relaxed about things.   However, when it comes to dating and having sex with someone, they are pretty strict.   Kyle won’t be 16 until next September and he hasn’t dated anyone either.”

“Do you always do what your Dads tell you?” Purev asked seriously.   He wanted to be David’s boyfriend in every sense of the word.

“Yes, I do because I love them and I know they wouldn’t ask me to do something unless it was important.   They have asked us to talk to them about having sex with someone before we do it.   They aren’t totally opposed to it but they want to make sure we aren’t going to get hurt.   In fact, Dad has already showed me where he keeps his stash of condoms.   He wants to make sure that if we decide to be sexually active, that we have safe sex.”

“But you just told me that they don’t approve of you having sex before you’re 18,” Purev said, confused.

“That’s because they think we are too young to understand the consequences of our actions,” David said.   “However, my Dads have always included us in their discussions and decision-making.   They have expressed their concerns and shared their reasons with us.   We talked about those reasons and we collectively decided on what our standards would be as a family.”

“I can’t believe your Dads let you decide what the rules are.   My parents dictated to me what I could and couldn’t do,” Purev said.   “That’s why they threw me out.   They couldn’t handle not being in control of my life.”

“My Dads are really pretty cool about most things.   Dad told us that his job was to teach us correct principles and after that it was up to us to govern ourselves.   We wrote down what we thought those correct principles were and debated them among ourselves.   Our Dads worked with us to craft our family principles and then we voted on whether or not we should adopt them as part of our family rules.   In fact, I wrote the one about no sex before age 18 after we talked about it and did some research.   I originally put the age limit at 21 but Kyle complained he would have to remain a virgin until after he graduated from college,” David said.

“Why did you want it to be 21?” Purev asked curiously.   He was amazed that anyone, particularly a teenager, would want to limit their sexual activity.

“All of my research showed that pre-marital sex between teenagers in high school increases the risk of not finishing school or at a minimum causes lower grades and reduces the likelihood of students going on to college,” David said.   “As for sex during the college years, my research found that sexual activity also had a negative impact on grades at the college level as well.   I think that having sex before getting married shows a huge lack of discipline and self-control.”

Purev’s face fell and he looked away from David.   His hopes of being David’s boyfriend seemed to be diminishing by the second.   David saw the look on Purev’s face and said, “But that doesn’t mean we can’t be boyfriends.”

Purev gave David a confused look and asked, “But how can we be boyfriends if you won’t have sex with me?”

“We can still be boyfriends,” David insisted.   “We don’t need to have sex to be boyfriends.”

Purev shook his head in disbelief.   “You can’t really mean that, David.   I always thought that the only way you could truly be boyfriends was to have sex with each other.   How will you know if you like being with them if you aren’t fucking each other?”

“Purev, the act of copulation is purely a physical act.   Anyone can perform sexual acts with another guy but that doesn’t mean they are boyfriends.    To me, the definition of a boyfriend isn’t whether or not you’ve had sex with each other.   It’s about being best friends.    Like tonight for example, I have never been able to relate to another guy like I have been able to do with you, Purev.   You are smart, funny, and good looking.   A boyfriend needs to be loyal, kind, loving, gentle, and totally into being together with me.   A boyfriend needs to understand me and be willing to help me become a better person and I will do the same for them.   Purev, I want you to be my boyfriend.”

Purev looked at David.   His indecision was evident on his face.   Finally, he asked, “But does this mean we have to wait until you’re 18 to have sex?”

“Yes, it does.  I think it’s important to get to know each other and to make sure we are really meant to be together,” David said.

“Maybe it would be better if we just remained friends, David.   I want to be fucked by my boyfriend.   I get so horny sometimes I can’t wait to have an intimate relationship with another guy.   I don’t want to wait,” Purev said.

It was David’s turn to feel disappointed.   “I’m sorry, Purev.   I can’t do that right now.   I guess we will just have to be good friends,” David said glumly; his disappointment expressing itself in the drooping of his shoulders and in the downcast look on his face.

Feeling bad for rejecting David’s request to be boyfriends, Purev leaned over and kissed David on the lips.   “Maybe when you’re 16, we can talk about being boyfriends.”

David smiled, “Okay, but you have to promise you’ll still be my friend.”

Purev nodded his head.   “I promise I’ll be your friend, David.”

David stood up and pulled out the trundle bed.   He turned and retrieved a blanket and a pillow out of his closet.   The trundle bed already had clean sheets on it.   Purev made up his bed and then stripped down to his boxer shorts.   Purev noticed David watching him closely and smiled, “Okay, you’ve seen me in my underwear.   Now, it’s time for you to show me yours.”

David stood up and shyly stripped off his clothes.   He wore white briefs.   Purev laughed, “I thought only little boys wore that kind of underwear.”

David blushed but replied, “I like them.   My Dads like to wear Speedo bikini briefs and Kyle likes his boxers.”   He climbed into his bed and pulled the covers up to his chin.   He was feeling dejected after their discussion about being boyfriends and Purev’s comment about his briefs only made things worse.

Purev walked over and turned out the light and then climbed into bed.   He said, “I’m sorry, David.   I didn’t mean to make fun of your underwear.”

“It’s okay.   Kyle likes to tease me about it, too.   It doesn’t bother me because it’s what I like to wear,” David said.   “Good night, Purev.”

“Good night, David,” he replied.

*** ***

David couldn’t sleep.   His mind kept going over his conversation with Purev.   He knew what Purev wanted went against everything his Dads had taught him about building a relationship of trust with someone.   He finally climbed out of his bed and silently crossed the room and opened the door.   He walked down the hall to his Dads’ room.   The door was slightly ajar and he pushed it open.   He could see his Dads sleeping in each other’s arms.   He walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge.

He watched as his Dad’s eyes opened and stared up into his own.   Rick said, “What’s wrong, David?”

“I need someone to hug me, Dad,” David replied.

Rick shook my shoulder and I rolled over.   “What?” I asked sleepily.

Rick replied, “Wake up, Babe.   David needs us.”

I looked over and saw David sitting next to Rick on the bed.   “Okay,” I said.

After I moved away from Rick to make room for David, Rick said, “Okay, son, climb in.”

David slipped into the space between us.   Rick pulled the blankets over us and we wrapped our arms around the young man.   David asked, “Am I so different than everyone else?”

Rick asked, “No.   Why do you ask?”

“I told Purev I wanted to be boyfriends but that I didn’t want to have sex with him until I was older,” David said.  

“Okay,” I replied.   “How is that a problem?”

“He said he wants to have sex now and doesn’t want to wait,” David said.

“That’s his choice to make, David,” Rick said.  “You have to respect his decision to have sex with someone just as he should respect your wish not to have sex until you are ready.”

“David, why did we as a family decide that our rules would be that you would not have sex with anyone until age 18?” I asked.

“Because we decided that sex should be between two people who love each other,” David said.

“Did we set an age limit?” Rick asked.

“Yes, we did.   I wanted it to be 18 and I still think it should be 18,” David said.

“Why do you feel that way?” I asked.

“Because I want to be married to the person I have sex with for the first time,” David said.   “When I give myself to someone, it will be to the one I love.”

“We agree with you, David.   We support you 100 percent,” Rick said.   “What are you going to do about Purev?”

David said, “I already told him I wanted to wait until we were older.”

“Did he say he wouldn’t be your friend if you didn’t have sex with him?” I asked.

“No.   He promised we would still be friends,” David said.

“Then you should be happy he has agreed to be your friend.   When you are older, you can ask him to be your boyfriend if you still feel that way about him,” I said.

David nodded his head.   “I know that, Daddy, but I still wanted to make sure I’m doing the right thing.”

“Rest assured, David, you’re doing the right thing by waiting to have sex,” I said.

David hugged each of us and said, “I love you.”

“We love you, too, son,” Rick said.

“I’m going back to my bed now,” David said.  

Rick stood up and pulled David into his arms.   “Good night, son,” he said releasing the young man from his embrace.   David left the room, closing the door behind him.

Rick returned to his place beside me and pulled me into his arms.   “I’m glad he told Purev, “no.”   I was worried that we had made a mistake by letting the two boys share a room tonight,” I said.

Rick said, “I wasn’t worried.   David knows what he wants and isn’t easily swayed by peer pressure.”

“You’re right about that,” I said with a sigh.

Rick laughed, “Be grateful he has a good head on his shoulders and knows how to use it.”

“Oh, I’m not complaining about David’s intelligence.   However, I wish he were a little more malleable sometimes.   He is so stubborn!   He reminds of his father in that regard,” I said.

Rick laughed, again, “Yes, he is just as stubborn as I am.   That’s a good character trait in my book.”

“It is a good trait but it can be a difficult one sometimes,” I replied.

Rick kissed me and said, “Let’s just say you love me and leave it at that.”

“Yes, I do love you; stubbornness and all,” I replied.

I snuggled closer to him and rested my head on his chest.   I soon drifted off to sleep.

*** ***

Purev awoke with a start and looked up at the ceiling wondering where in the world he was.   He rolled over and caught site of David’s sleeping form on the bed next to him.   He remembered their conversation from the night before and wished he hadn’t been so forthright about wanting to have sex with someone.   He really liked David and hated himself for hurting David’s feelings.

Maybe they could be boyfriends without having to fuck each other’s brains out.   He had read a lot of erotic stories on the internet and his ideas of having a boyfriend mostly came from what he had read.   Since he didn’t know anyone his age that was gay, he didn’t have a frame of reference for what would be considered normal behavior for gay boys who wanted to date someone.   He only knew that his straight friends at school all considered a serious relationship to mean they were fucking their girlfriends.   In fact, they thought it was a badge of honor to prove they were real men.   Talking to David last night had set him to thinking that maybe he should talk to some of the gay adults he knew about dating and courtship practices among gay men.   Maybe Scott and Alonzo could help him out.

His bladder soon had him up and moving to the en suite to relief himself.   As he return, he noticed that David was awake and staring up at the ceiling.   He said, “Good morning, David.”

“Good morning, Purev,” David replied, sitting up in his bed.

Purev walked over and sat down on David’s bed.   “Do you still want me to be your boyfriend?”

David smiled and responded, “Yes, I do.”

“I thought about what you said last night and decided that I don’t need to have sex with you to be your boyfriend,” Purev said.   He pulled back the blankets and joined David in his bed.   He leaned over and kissed him.  

David pulled back in surprise when Purev tried to push his tongue past his lips.   “What kind of kiss is that?”

“It’s called French kissing,” Purev said.

“You’re the first person I’ve kissed,” David said.

The boys were still experimenting with French kissing when they were interrupted by a knock on David’s door.

Rick said through the door, “May I come in?”

David released Purev from his embrace and said, “Yes, Dad.”

Rick opened the door and smiled when he saw the two boys.   “I guess you decided to be boyfriends after all.”

“Yes, we did,” David said.

Purev looked up at Rick uncertainly.   He hadn’t thought about how David’s Dads would react.

Rick asked, “May I ask what since our conversation last night?”

Purev looked at David in surprise.   David hadn’t said anything about his Dads or any conversation they might have had.  David explained, “I couldn’t sleep last night I was so upset so I got up and went into my Dads’ bedroom to talk to them about it.”

Purev said, “I apologized to David this morning for insisting that we had to have sex in order to be boyfriends.”

Rick nodded his head, “Good.   I hoped that you would realize that David was right about not needing to have sex with you in order to become boyfriends.”

Purev said, “I’m sorry I made David upset.   I was being selfish and I hope you’ll forgive me.”

“David, you’re the one he offended.   Are you satisfied with his apology?” Rick asked.

“Yes, I think we will be okay,” David responded.

“Good.   Apology accepted, Purev.   It’s time for breakfast.   Please get cleaned up and join us in the kitchen,” Rick said.   He left the two boys to take care of their bodily needs, etc.

David said, “You take the shower in here and I will use the one in the hallway.”   He grabbed some clean underwear from his drawer and his towel from his en suite.   He said, “There’s a clean towel for you on the rack.”

A few minutes later, they both returned to David’s bedroom to finish getting dressed.   Purev pushed the trundle bed back under David’s bed and then walked over to David’s dresser.   He picked up a photograph and asked, “Is this your mom and dad.”

“Yes, that’s our entire family.   It’s the last photograph we have of everyone together.   My mom and dad were killed in a car accident and grandma died of cancer.   My Dads adopted us last year,” David said.

“I wondered what happened to your parents,” Purev said.   “Doesn’t it feel weird to be adopted?”

“No, it doesn’t bother me.   I have known my Dads since the 3rd grade.   I was in the 3rd grade when my mom and dad died.   My Grandma was in a nursing home at the time and couldn’t take care of us.   I remember Mrs. Evans took us to my Dads’ house to stay until my Grandma was well enough to take care of us.   Daddy took me into arms and held me when I figured out that my parents weren’t coming home.   My Dads have been there for me every time I’ve needed them even before my Grandma died,” David said.

“That is really cool!    For me, it’s been Mr. Eccles.   He is one of our neighbors.   His partner died and he lives alone now.   When my parents kicked me out of their house, I didn’t know where to go at first.   Then, I thought of Mr. Eccles.   He’s gay and I figured he would understand what I was going through with my parents,” Purev said.

“Are you going to live with Mr. Eccles now?” David asked.

“I don’t know.   Mr. Eccles has told me he would adopt me if my parents will terminate their parental rights.   He is worried that he’ll die before I’m 18,” Purev said sadly.   “His health isn’t good.”

I overheard the last part of their conversation as I stood in the doorway to David’s bedroom.   Purev startled when I said, “Purev, Scott and Alonzo have told us about Mr. Eccles and his concerns.   I wouldn’t worry too much about things.   I’m sure that between Mr. Eccles, Scott and Alonzo, everything will work out just fine.”

Purev looked at me with a doubtful expression.   “After what my parents did to me, I worry about everything.”

“Purev, may I give you a hug?   You look like you need one,” I said.

He nodded his head and permitted me to pull him into my embrace.   “Purev, please trust us to take care of you.”   I smoothed his hair with my hand and then released him.

He looked up at me and said, “I trust you.”

I smiled at him and replied, “You can trust Scott and Alonzo, too.”

Purev returned my smile.   “I like Scott and Alonzo.   Scott is so good looking.”

“But he’s married, Purev,” David pointed out.

“I don’t care if he’s married.   He’s still good looking,” Purev insisted.

“I agree he’s very good looking and if we weren’t married, I would be very interested in him,” I said with a grin.   “We have the same taste in men it seems, Purev.”  

Purev nodded.   “Scott is my dream guy.”

David protested, “I thought you like me, Purev.”

Purev responded, “I do like you but I think Scott is super “hot.”   Don’t you think so, David?”

Before David could reply, I said, “It’s time to eat breakfast.   We’ve been waiting for you two to join us.   Let’s go.   We can debate about Scott’s good looks over breakfast.”

The two boys preceded me out of the room.   We met Rick on the stairs.   He moved to the side to let the boys pass and I put my arm around his waist as he turned to go back down.  

Rick gave me a quick kiss.   “I was beginning to think you had gotten lost somewhere.”

“I did,” I replied with a grin.   “We got sidetracked discussing “hot” studs.”

Rick laughed, “How typical.   I should have known you couldn’t resist talking about good looking guys.”

“It’s because I have such good taste in men,” I said as we entered the kitchen.

Kyle overheard my comment and remarked, “Yes, Daddy chose well when he chose you, Dad.”

Rick smiled and said, “Of course, he did.”  

I walked over and took my seat next to Rick.   I leaned over and gave him a quick kiss.   “I love you, sweetheart.”

Rick said, “Let us say grace.”  

We reached out and took the hand of the person on either side of us.   Rick led us in saying grace.   Afterwards, we dug into the heaping plates of pancakes, sausage, eggs, and fried potatoes.  We heard the front door open and Cameron and Skye came into the kitchen followed by their Dads, Zach and Todd.  

Cameron said, “We brought a fruit bowl.”   He handed me a bowl with mixed fruit in it:   watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi and grapes.   I placed it on the table.

“Sorry we’re late,” Zach said.  

“Not a problem,” Rick said.   “There is plenty of food for everyone.”

Zach looked across the table and asked, “David, who is your friend?”

David grinned and said, “Uncle Zach, this is Purev Javklan.”

Zach said, “Nice to meet you Purev.”

David said proudly, “Uncle Zach plays hockey for the Washington Capitals.”

Purev’s eyes grew round with excitement, “You’re number 43!”

“Yes, my jersey number is 43,” Zach replied with a smile.   “I’m glad to see you’re a hockey fan!”

“I love hockey and the Washington Capitals are my team.   You must be Zachary Anderson-Ingram,” Purev said.   “You have scored most of the Capitals’ goals over the last six games.”

Zach looked impressed, “Wow!  A real, live Capitals’ fan right here at our breakfast table!”

Skye said, “Dad made two goals last night and he has another game tonight.”

“That’s so awesome!   I thought the tonight was an away game,” Purev said.

“It is.   I have to leave in about an hour for the airport,” Zach said.

“I’m going with him this time and we will be back on Tuesday,” Todd said.

Cameron said, “We are staying with Uncle Rick and Uncle Glenn while they’re gone.”

They finished their breakfast and then everyone helped clear the dishes.   The kitchen was clean in a flash and everyone moved into the family room.   Zach and Todd hugged and kissed their boys.

“Boys, I expect you to listen to your uncles while we’re gone,” Zach said, looking each boy in the eye.   They both nodded their understanding.

“We’ll be good,” Cameron said.

“Good,” Todd said.   “We’ll see you guys.”   He turned to me and Rick, “Thanks, guys, for watching the boys for us.”

Rick grinned, “Not a problem, Todd.”

I stood up and went over to them.   I kissed each one on the lips and gave them a hug.   “I love you both.   Have a great time and be safe!”

Zach grinned, “We will do both.   I promise you!”

Zach put his arm around Todd’s waist as they made their way out of the house.   Purev turned to David and said, “You never told me your uncle was on the hockey team!”

David responded calmly, “You didn’t ask me about my uncles.”

David’s tone of voice reminded Purev that to David’s logical mind, he should have asked a question about David’s uncles if he wanted to know more about them.   He’d have to remember that for future reference.

Cameron asked, “May be go ice skating today?”

“Sure,” I responded.   “Does everyone else want to go?”   There was a chorus of approval from the rest of the children.   “Okay, then we’ll go skating.   Open skating begins at 11:30.   We have time for your Spanish lessons this morning before we have to leave for the recreation center.”

The older children groaned.  “Do we have to?” Kyle asked with very noticeable whine in his voice.   “I’m already taking Spanish at school.”

“Yes, everyone has to attend our Spanish lessons, especially those you have it in school.   You have to admit that practicing Spanish at home has helped you get good grades at school,” I said.

Kyle said, with reluctance, “Yes, it did help me with the last test I took.”

Purev pointed to the little yellow notes attached to the lamp and lamp table and asked, “What are all the notes for?”

“Each note has the object’s name in English, Spanish, French and German to help us increase our vocabulary,” I said.

Purev asked, “Do you speak all of those languages?”

Rick answered, “No, we don’t.   That’s why we are all learning them together.   I speak Spanish, Glenn speaks French and Spanish, Todd speaks German and Zach speaks French.”

“We take turns teaching the different languages to the boys,” I said.   “I’m enjoying the challenge of learning a new language.”

“Isn’t it hard to learn too many languages at once?” Purev asked.   “I speak Khalkha like my parents but I learned English at school.”

Kyle responded to Purev’s question, “It’s hard but it’s fun at the same time.   My little brothers already speak Spanish and French fluently with my Dads.”

“They like to keep secrets from us sometimes by speaking French,” Ashley said.   “But I’m learning it, too, so they won’t be able to do that for much longer.”   She caught JJ up in her arms as he dashed past her with Josh in hot pursuit.   “Why are you running for Josh?”

JJ pointed at his twin and said, “He’s trying to tickle me.   He’s pretending to be a tickle monster.”

Josh giggled and wiggled his fingers at JJ as if to tickle him.   JJ laughed and clung to Ashley, “Save me from the tickle monster!”

I asked, “JJ and Josh, are you ready to study Spanish this morning?”

Josh answered, “Sí, estoy listo a estudiar.” (Yes, I’m ready to study)

I continued in Spanish, “Sit down please and let’s go over the vocabulary words.”  

I pointed to the different objects in the room and pronounced their names.   They repeated them after me.   We also did some conversational dialogues and reviewed verb conjugations.

After about an hour, I said, in English, “We’re done for today.   Are we ready to go ice skating?”

The younger boys shouted in chorus, “Yes, we are!”

“Okay, get your ice skates and let’s go,” I said smiling at their enthusiasm.

Purev said, “I don’t have ice skates.”

“We’ll rent some for you at the recreation center,” I replied.

Rick said, “I’ll grab our skates from the hall closet.   We will need to take two cars, Glenn.”

I nodded my head in agreement, “You’re right.   There are too many of us to fit into one vehicle.”

After everyone had their gear, we piled into our cars and caravanned to the recreation center.   We paid our entry fee and rented skates for Purev.   Ashley and Kyle assisted the younger boys with their skates while David helped Purev.   Soon everyone was on the ice.   Cameron and Skye were showing off for Purev.  

Purev shook his head in amazement, “How do they do that?”

“You have to remember that their Dads are good skaters.   Both Todd and Zach played hockey in college,” I said.

David said, “I’ll teach you how to skate, Purev.”   David took Purev’s hand and helped him out onto the ice.   David guided him around the outer edge of the rink.   After a couple of times around, Purev seemed to have the hang of it and the two boys moved out from the edge of the ice.  

Kyle organized a game of tag on the ice.   Fortunately, there weren’t many other skaters so the game didn’t endanger anyone.   I sat out the game on the sidelines with JJ and Josh.   Cameron and Skye managed to tag Kyle every time, much to his chagrin.  The two boys were ecstatic to say the least!   They would come at Kyle from two different directions and while he was avoiding one, the other would tag him.   JJ and Josh would cheer them on as they passed us chasing Kyle around the rink.

Purev said, “I love your family, David.   They are so much fun to be around.”

“They are a lot of fun,” David acknowledged.

When the children tired of their game, Kyle came over to sit by me and said, “I like Purev.   Do you think we can convince him to transfer to Edison?”

“Maybe, but we need to talk to his friend, Mr. Eccles.   Purev can’t transfer to Edison unless his parents agree and right now, they aren’t speaking to him,” I said.

“Couldn’t you and Dad adopt him?” Kyle asked.

“We could but let’s see how things work out for Purev with his family,” I said.   “We shouldn’t give up hope that his parents will see the error of their ways.”

“But what if they don’t change their minds?” Kyle persisted.

I put my arm around Kyle’s shoulders.   “Kyle, I want to help Purev as much as you do; however, we need to give his parents the chance to do the right thing.”

Kyle nodded his head in agreement.   “I still hope he decides to go to Edison.   It would be much better for him there than at Lake Braddock.   I’m sure that my buddies on the football team will protect him if anyone tries to bully him about being gay.”

We returned to the ice and skated until the public skating session ended.   After everyone was back in their regular shoes, I asked, “Okay, where do you want to eat lunch?”

Kyle said, “I want Five Guys.”

Ashley said, “Five Guys is okay as long as we get their French fries.”

I looked at Rick and he nodded his head in approval.   “I like Five Guys, too.”

“Okay, Five Guys it is,” I said.   We piled in the cars and headed to the nearest Five Guys restaurant.   I like Five Guys but I can’t eat there very often or I’ll gain a ton; however, I do have to admit that their French fries are the best!

*** ***

After lunch, we drove to Mr. Eccles’ home to drop off Purev.   Purev invited us inside to meet Mr. Eccles.   Purev opened the front door and shouted, “Mr. Eccles!  Are you home?”

“I’m in the front room, Purev,” Mr. Eccles said.

“I’ve invited the Lerniers to come inside to meet you.   Is that okay?” Purev asked.

“Yes, I would very much like to meet them,” Mr. Eccles said.   He struggled to his feet, leaning heavily on his cane.   He shuffled into the foyer and met us as we entered.   “I’m Mr. Eccles,” he said, extending his hand towards Rick.

Rick took his hand and said, “I’m Rick Lernier and this is my husband, Glenn Lernier.”

Mr. Eccles said, “Nice to meet you both.   I assume that these are your children.”

“Yes, they are.   This is Kyle, Ashley, David, JJ and Josh.   Cameron and Skye are staying with us while their Dads are out of town for the weekend,” Rick said.

“Please come in and sit down,” Mr. Eccles said.   “Would you like anything to drink?”

“No, thank you.   We just came from Five Guys,” I said as Rick and I sat down on the couch with the children spread out on either side of us.

“You have a very handsome family.   I’m glad to see a happy family with gay parents.   I always wanted to have children; but my partner didn’t want to adopt and refused to use a surrogate,” Mr. Eccles said.   He sighed and said, “He has passed on so now maybe I can adopt Purev if his parents decide to terminate their parental rights.”

Purev asked anxiously, “Have they answered your letter?”

“No, they haven’t but I’m going to contact the county to let them know that I am taking care of you and to start the process of forcing a decision on their part,” Mr. Eccles said.

“Do you have a lawyer to help you with the adoption process,” I asked.

“Yes, I do,” Mr. Eccles said.   “I will meet with them tomorrow.”

“Please let us know if we can do anything to help.   We think Purev is a fine young man,” Rick said.

Mr. Eccles smiled, “I do, too.   I will let you know if we need anything.”

Rick said, “We need to be going.   Thank you for allowing Purev to stay overnight with us.”  Mr. Eccles started to get up but Rick said, “You don’t need to get up.   Purev can see us out.”

Mr. Eccles smiled, “Thank you, Purev.   It’s been nice visiting with you.”

Purev saw us to the door.   We climbed in our cars and waited while David said his good byes.  

Purev kissed David and said, “I’ll call you later.”

“Okay,” David responded with a smile.

He climbed into the car; grinning from ear to ear.   Ashley laughed, “David’s got a boyfriend.”

David didn’t stop smiling as he said, “Yes, I do.”

*** ***

Author’s Note:

Mount Vernon RECreation Center - http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/rec/mvrec.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment